Subject: Re: XFree possible on a 7300 with added video card?
To: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/09/2002 10:57:26
On 9 Dec 2002, Russell McManus wrote:

> Is it possible to run the XFree86 X server on a powermac 7300 if one
> adds a video card to one of the PCI slots?
>
>   http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/x11.html
>
> suggests that this is not possible, but I am looking for confirmation.
> Here is the relevent excerpt:

<snip>
	If memory serves, X11R6.3 will run on the older macs. The newer
XFree86 v4 needs a video card with a VGA ROM on the card to do its
initialization with. Having a VGA ROM on a Mac is awefully silly, but
until someone comes up with something better, you will probably need a
Rage 128 or better add in card. (Keeping in mind that the closed
source nvidia driver doesn't really work on Net/Open BSD(yet).)