Subject: Re: Scuzzy Thinking (Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Stilwell <netbsd@hammock.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2002 16:36:56
Jeff Walther wrote:

 > So, on the older PowerSurge machines there is a MESH SCSI bus which is
 > internal only and supports 10 MB/s.  On the Beige G3 the only SCSI is
 > MESH based, but it only supports 5 MB/s and has both internal and
 > external connectors.    I think this change in what MESH does, and
 > step backwards in performance also led to a lot of confusion about
the > Beige G3's capabilities when it was released.

I got the number from an old Mac user web site, and figured the 10MB/s
was right based on the boot messages on a Beige G3 running Linux PPC
(2.2.20).  I haven't run Linux on a Beige G3 in quite some time, so I'm
not sure if that was an error or hack.  Is Ben Herrenschmidt still
reading this list?  I admit the 10MB/s internal vs. 5MB/s external seemd
odd to me (I thought maybe it was a stability issue or something), and
now seeing the Mesh history, I can see that the Mac user pages were just
confused by the MESH on older PowerMacs.  It looks like they help spread
confusion well ;-).

Blair