Subject: Re: Scuzzy Thinking (Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/2002 17:21:56
At 14:36 -0600 12/07/2002, Andy Ball wrote:
>Hello,
>
>   BS> The on board SCSI is narrow (10MB/s, 5MB/s external).
>
>   DG> It's also probably worth noting that the MESH
>     > controller was configured to run at slow external bus
>     > speeds, but that its clock speed can be changed in
>     > software to improve performance if the bus is clean
>     > enough to handle it.
>
>Is that how it does 10Mb/S internal and 5Mb/S external (if
>that's right)?  Or is it simply clocked at 5MHz and the
>internal segment is 'slow, wide' (which seems unlikely)?

The SCSI on the Beige is 5 MB/s, period.   The internal SCSI
connector and the external SCSI connector are both on the same bus.
That bus is unenhanced SCSI-II (5 MB/s).   There is no SCSI faster
than 5 MB/s on the Beige G3 without adding a PCI card (except for
possible hacks such as David mentioned).   The Beige G3 SCSI is
controlled by the Heathrow chip, which apparently contains a block
based on the MESH chip.

The PowerSurge machines (7500, 7600, 7300, 8500, 8600, 8600 Enhanced,
9500, 9600, 9600 Enhanced, PowerTower Pro, PowerWave, Daystar
Genesis, Umax S900/J700) have two separate SCSI busses.

The one which appears as SCSI Bus 0 is controlled by the Apple MESH
chip (which may be based on the NCR/SYM/LSI 53CF96) and has only an
internal 50 pin IDC (ribbon cable connectors are called IDC)
connector.  It is a Fast SCSI-II bus and supports 10 MB/s theoretical
transfer speeds.

The SCSI bus in PowerSurge which appears as SCSI Bus 1 is controlled
by the AMD 79C950 chip (CURIO Chip).   This bus has both an internal
50 pin IDC connector and an external DB25 connector.  Both these
connectors are on the same bus.   There is circuitry to autodetect
whether termination is needed at the motherboard (between the two
connectors, e.g. if there are only internal devices or only external
devices on the bus).   This bus is Unenhanced SCSI-II and supports
only 5 MB/s theoretical transfer speeds.

So, on the older PowerSurge machines there is a MESH SCSI bus which
is internal only and supports 10 MB/s.  On the Beige G3 the only SCSI
is MESH based, but it only supports 5 MB/s and has both internal and
external connectors.    I think this change in what MESH does, and
step backwards in performance also led to a lot of confusion about
the Beige G3's capabilities when it was released.

Jeff Walther