Subject: Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 18:30:29
Hello Blair,

   BS> The on board SCSI is narrow (10MB/s, 5MB/s external).
     > Many of the Beige G3s also have an UltraWide PCI
     > (40MB/s) adapter that is a 53c875 card made by ATTO,
     > installed at the factory.

I imagine the mention of 'wide SCSI' that I found referred
to that card.  Thanks for the information.

   BS> If the computer has a factory installed internal SCSI
     > hard disk, most likely it has this add-on card also
     > factory installed.  I've also heard Apple substituted
     > an Adaptec 2940UW on some beige G3s.

I'll ask him to check the expansion slots.

   BS> The on board mesh SCSI connects to the internal ZIP
     > drive if it has one.  The internal ATA is ATA-3,
     > 16.6MB/s.

Iomega don't seem to make internal SCSI Zip drives any more,
which strikes me as a shame. That said, I loved the way that
NetBSD 'just worked' with my USB Zip drive :-)

   BS> They support PCI 2.1 with both 3.3V and 5V power, 5V
     > signaling.

Sounds good.  Thanks again.

- Andy Ball.