Subject: Re: 300MHz beige G3 questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 14:24:05
At 10:25 -0600 12/06/2002, Andy Ball wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to help out a friend who recently picked up a
>300MHz beige G3 Mac.  He says the mainboard supports both
>SCSI and ATA disk drives.  I've trawled my usual sources
>(LEM, google etc.) without finding much in the way of
>specifics.

>He's thinking of upgrading its disk drive.  I've read that
>it supports "wide SCSI", but I'm not sure if this means
>single-ended, hvd or lvd (I'm guessing single-ended).  I'm
>also wondering about the speed of the SCSI bus (20MHz?)

The built-in SCSI in the Beige G3 is unenhanced narrow SE SCSI-II.
5 MB/s theoretical.  It's good for hooking up peripherals like
CDROMs, tape drives, scanners and removable media drives, but not
much good for fast storage.  There are folks who will tell you that
it is 10 MB/s but they are confused because they believe that SCSI-II
is synonomous with Fast SCSI-II.   The Beige SCSI is unenhanced, not
Fast.

IIRC, the built-in ATA is ATA-33 (or is it 16?) which isn't the
fastest around, but only the newer hard drives deliver sustained
performance better than 33 MB/s anyway, so it should be adequate
unless he's really hard core about performance.  Hmmm.  Apple's
Developer Note says that it supports ATA-2.  Is that 33 or 16 MB/s?

Some G3s shipped with an optional SCSI card installed.    If his is
one of those, it should be obvious, because there will be an Adaptec
or Atto brand SCSI card in one of the three PCI slots.   You'll need
to identify the SCSI card to determine (or ask) what SCSI protocol it
supports.

>Does his beige G3 support 5V cards, 3.3V or both? As
>you can tell, I'm not all that familiar with this model.

The Beige G3 PCI slots supply both 5V and 3.3V but the 5V signaling
standard must be used.   In other words, if you need a 3.3V supply on
the PCI card, it's available, but by the time the signals leave the
card, they need to be 5V signals.   The slots are 32 bit, 33.3333
MHz.

If he still has a copy of the Mac OS installed, launch the Apple
System Profiler from the Apple menu and scroll down to "ROM
Revision".  If he has $77D.40F2 then he has a Rev. A ROM and slave
drives are not supported on the IDE busses.  If he has a later
revision then slave drives are supported.    If you doesn't have
Apple System Profiler or a similar utility available, you can pull
the ROM module and read the numbers off of the chips.   If the two
chips read 341S0402  and 341S0403, then he has the Rev. A ROM.

Jeff Walther