Subject: 300MHz beige G3 questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2002 10:25:08
Hello!

I'm trying to help out a friend who recently picked up a
300MHz beige G3 Mac.  He says the mainboard supports both
SCSI and ATA disk drives.  I've trawled my usual sources
(LEM, google etc.) without finding much in the way of
specifics.

He's thinking of upgrading its disk drive.  I've read that
it supports "wide SCSI", but I'm not sure if this means
single-ended, hvd or lvd (I'm guessing single-ended).  I'm
also wondering about the speed of the SCSI bus (20MHz?)

Next upgrade is probably IEEE-1394 'FireWire' as a PCI card.
Are some better than others?  Do some work better with
NetBSD? Does his beige G3 support 5V cards, 3.3V or both? As
you can tell, I'm not all that familiar with this model.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
   - Andy Ball.