Subject: Re: XF4 on powerbook G4 (ATI radeon)
To: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2002 22:07:11
On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:14:47PM +1100, grant beattie wrote:
> It seems to work fine, though I've not stressed it. I'm using 16bit
> on the LCD at the moment. Both the trackpad and USB mouse work fine.

I tend to use 24-bit.

> * Starting X with a USB keyboard connected means that the adb keyboard
>   can't be plugged in and used without restarting X, and vice versa.
>   This isn't a major problem, but it would be nice if it worked (I'm
>   using /dev/wskbd).

I haven't looked at this, but your thought that the keyboard maps are
different sounds plausible.  I've found that there are a few missing
keys on the adb keyboard, too (i.e., that give keycode 0).

> * After killing xdm, any keypress event from the USB keyboard results in:
>
> 	wskbd_input: evar->q=NULL
>
>   being logged on the console, and the adb keyboard was unresponsive.
>   This continued until I unplugged and replugged the keyboard.

Hmmm...  I haven't seen this.  I haven't used the usb keyboard since I
installed, though.

> * When I booted with the lid closed (ie. using the external display as
>   the console), X fired up but didn't display anything. Opening the lid
>   didn't enable the LCD, so I had to reboot.

Be careful doing this!  We don't have great power management yet and the
system gets Really Hot with the lid closed--I left it running overnight
with the lid closed and there are a few spots on the screen where it
looks like the heat damaged the screen a little bit (i.e., I can kind of
see what looks like the outline of the gap between keys in a few places...).

> Connecting the external display while using the LCD as the console
> works okay (external display is a mirror of LCD).

Cool.  I haven't tried that.

> Is there a way to get both displays to work independantly?

This is something I want to get working.  I've just been too swamped
to think about it lately.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...