Subject: Re: current kernel on G4 hang
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@usenet-2002-07.emsi.priv.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/03/2002 23:15:46
|    I've been unable to get at -current kernel work on my
|  GigE G4. The symptom is that the 1.6K kernel boots up OK
|  until it hits the
|
|  	root file system type: ffs
|
|    then it sits there contemplating its navel or something,
|  and does nothing.

  I finally got a -current kernel that would boot all right,
by removing

#-options       ALTIVEC         # Include AltiVec support
#-options       USERCONF        # userconf(4) support
#-options       COMPAT_09       # NetBSD 0.9,
#-options       COMPAT_10       # NetBSD 1.0,
#-options       COMPAT_11       # NetBSD 1.1,
#-options       COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2,
#-options       COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,
#-options       COMPAT_14       # NetBSD 1.4,
#-file-system   MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS file system
#-options       OFB_ENABLE_CACHE        # Speed up console

  which were previously enabled. I'll try to narrow it down more,
but I suspect either altivec or userconf.

	mjl