Subject: Re: current kernel on G4 hang
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@netbsd.org>
From: Andrea Cocito <andrea.cocito@ieo-research.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/28/2002 04:07:52
On Thursday, Nov 28, 2002, at 00:58 Europe/Rome, Martin J. Laubach
wrote:
>   then it sits there contemplating its navel or something,
> and does nothing.
>   Anybody has experienced similar problems?

Not exactly ... but I am experiencing a somehow similar
problem: G4/400 (no gigabit), running 1.6 <release>, used as
gateway/firewall (runs ipnat, ipf, squid and named).

The machine literally "freezes" about every 24 hours for no
apparent reason (it happened twice at very low-traffic times),
and sine no kernel panic, messages in syslog or whatever
take place it seems  quite hard to debug/track it.

In the weekend I'll try to recompile the kernel without
open firmware screen buffering (the last suspect I have at
this point, after double-checking ANY hardware issue [dd'ed
the hard disk to another one and moved this new HD to
another machine...] and kernel configuration I could think of
[from NMBCLUSTERS to syn cache parameters....])

If I manage to have any 'useful' information about these
freezes I will let you all know, by now I think that posting
a dmesg/sysctl/watever about the system without beeing
able to neither know anything about the conditions that
trigger the freeze nor any other information about the frozen
state itself doesn't seem useful.

If anybody has an hint on how to gather more informations on
what is up it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

A.

WARNING: Sending me spam will cause your whole netblock to
magically land in half a dozen of RBL lists in a matter of minutes.
I am not interested in receiving any advertisement of any kind.
Andrea Cocito
European Institute of Oncology
Department of Experimental Oncology
Bio-informatics Research Group Director