Subject: Re: Whoa doggies! was: sysinst changes to handle Apple Disk Partition Map
To: port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/2002 22:03:19
Thanks Bob, for the reply.

Bob> It almost looks like you were using the
Bob> non-patched version of sysinst.
Yes, sorry, you are right.

After I applied your patch, I have just done
./build.sh with -u flag. It won't update the md.c/md.h related changes.
I needed make clear on distrib/macppc/floppies/ before make.

Now I have netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz with sysinst patch.

status:
(1) Won't handle non APM disk
   It seems to need disk should be formatted with APM labels.
It doesn't care the internals, but label should be there.
If I use pure NetBSD label stuff, say no APM staff there,
I have no way to get the partition done at following (ii) screen.
Am I wrong ?

(i)
 We are now going to install NetBSD on the disk wd0.  You may choose to
 install NetBSD on the entire disk or part of the disk.  Which would you like
 to do?
  +-------------------------------+
  |  Select your choice           |
  |                               |
  | >a: Use only part of the disk |
  |  b: Use the entire disk       |
  +-------------------------------+

(ii)
 Edit Disk Partition Map: The Map on the disk has been scanned for all
 user-level partitions, but only those usable by NetBSD are displayed.  The
 partition table currently looks like:

 Part      start       size fstype use       mount point (name)
 ---- ---------- ---------- ------ --------- ------------------

                      +----------------------------------+
                      | Choose your partition            |
                      |                                  |
                      |>a: Select next partition         |
                      | b: Change selected partition     |
                      | c: Set mount point for partition |
                      | d: Split selected partition      |
                      | e: Fix selected partiton         |
                      | x: Exit                          |
                      | <: page up, >: page down         |
                      +----------------------------------+

(2) Segfault md.c (?)  -> strlen
    When I have some empty mount point partition, it get
    Segmentation fault at some call to 'strlen' function.
    This may be OK, just be carefull.

(3) Segfaults at pax comp.tgz
    I also have Segmentation fault at pax  comp.tgz stage.
    This is fatal to me in some sense.

I have placed the suspected binary at
ftp://ftp.ki.nu/pub/NetBSD/port-macppc/sysinst-test/netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz

Thanks, Bob,
---
Makoto Fujiwara,
Chiba, Japan, Narita Airport and Disneyland prefecture.