Subject: how to use CVS on my local copy of the OS?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/05/2002 02:45:37
Hopefully there are some CVS experts here (or someone who can recommend
the right mailing list).

Has anyone set up a local CVS repository to track personal changes
to the OS?  (By "OS" I mean roughly what's in our CVS tree and built
from it.)  I still haven't gotten PPP working, so connecting to the real
CVS server isn't an option.

Some files I might change are just copied from the source tree (like the
ones that end up in /etc) but it would be better to put the sources
under CVS, rather than the installed versions, right?

Other considerations:

* my repository(ies) should coexist with CVS changes on files that have
  nothing to do with the NetBSD system, like locally-written programs
  or local changes to packages I built myself
* there should be a way to regenerate installed files from source changes
  (maybe sysinst or the build tools?)
* a big goal is to be able to back up a small amount of data so I can
  reinstall from CD, restore my backup, and put my OS in the state
  it was in before

I'm assuming I can deal with the problem of the "live" CVS tree
(and merging changes) later.

Thanks,

-- Derek