Subject: Re: Howto record fm-radio on macppc
To: Jens Liebau <liebau@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2002 13:14:12
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Jens Liebau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> beside the booting problem of NetBSD on PM 4400 (see other message)
> there is an other thing I'm trying  to do: I want to record some
> fm-radio tunes and convert them to mp3. To do so I bought an Haupauge
> WinTV PCI card (BT878) and placed it in an Beige G3 running NetBSD 1.6.
>
> The card was recognized at boottime, but no driver was activated. So I
> tried to compile an kernel with bktr support. GENERIC didn't include the
> necessary config options so I took a look at the i386 GENERIC and copied
> some parts to my macppc configfile. Building and booting the new kernel

I think that part should be fine.

> went fine. Since macppc's MAKEDEV wasn't able to create a /dev/bktr0 and
> /dev/radio0 I copied information on how to create these from i386
> MAKEDEV and make these two devices.

That WON'T work. Device major numbers differ from machine to machine, so
the numbers used on i386 aren't right for macppc.

You'll need something like the attached patch, and also to change the "71"
in the MAKEDEV script part to 63 (which is the exact same 63 that's in
this patch).

> Unfortunately these hacks didn't work. When I try to use the fm-tuner
> with "/usr/bin/radioctl -a" I got this error "radioctl: /dev/radio open
> error: Device not configured".

Yes, because 1) this patch wasn't in what you did, and 2) you were trying
to open device major 71, which isn't defined for macppc. :-)

> In some messages people notice the bktr driver works on i386 only. Don't
> know if this is right or not. Cause it compiles fine for me. Does anyone
> of you have a WinTV Card working? Or is there any other option to record
> fm-radio?

Try this and see what happens.

Take care,

Bill