Subject: Re: Missing memory
To: Momchil Velikov <velco@fadata.bg>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2002 12:59:33
On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Momchil Velikov wrote:

> I've got a PowerMAC 8500 with 32M RAM.
> However NetBSD does seem to use only 24M, it prints the following
> message:

No, that message means that only 24 MB is usable for general use. The
other 8 MB are being used by the kernel for its own uses.

While I'm not 100% on what kernel uses go in the 8 MB, and what go in the
"available" memory, the kernel is using all of the memory it can.

> NetBSD 1.6K (CUSTOM) #0: Sat Nov  2 19:43:56 EET 2002
>     root@merlin.maxx.bg:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/CUSTOM
> total memory = 32768 KB
> avail memory = 24424 KB
>
> What is the cause of this? Can I change some OFW settings or something?

It's normal. On my machine it's 416 MB/374 MB.

Take care,

Bill