Subject: Re: dhclient help needed
To: Bill Studenmund , Philip Brodd <pheelb@yahoo.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/30/2002 23:06:25
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Philip Brodd wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Truman.  That worked.  I guess I have a mistaken idea of how the
>> process works;  shouldn't dhclient be able to fetch a nameserver IP so that I
>> don't have to manually enter one?
>

> For me it does.
>
> # Created by dhclient at: Tue Oct 29 09:03:42 PST 2002
> search FOO.BAR.BAZ
> nameserver 10.0.0.1
>
> Do you have your dhcp server set up right? I have:

[isn't the airport the dhcp server? :-)]

>         option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
>         option domain-name "FOO.BAR.BAZ";
>
> It could be your service provider does things differently. If so, then the
> script might need tweaking.
>
> Also look at /sbin/dhclient-script, it is the script that sets this stuff
> up.

My /etc/dhclient.conf looks like:

interface "wi0" {
         media "nwid XXX nwkey YYY";
}
interface "wi1" {
         media "nwid XXX nwkey YYY";
}
interface "gem0" {
}

wi0 is apple's airport card.  wi1 is an generic card I would sometimes
plug in when trying to figure out why wi0 wasn't working.  gem0 is the
G4 Ti's ethernet.

It's happily picking up the IP address and the DNS servers of the ISP
from the dhcp reply.  The AirPort is hanging off a cable modem.

One gotya though.  I've seen my AirPort, when connecting via a modem and
serial port, ignore the DNS information being provided by the PPP server
at the other end of the phone line.  Worked fine when dialing out
directly from the Mac (using a modem card).  At the time, worked around
that specific problem by telling the AirPort the DNS server's name.

Oh, another got-ya is, on older systems,
/sbin/dhclient-script:make_resolve_conf required both a domain and DNS
server before it would create /etc/resolv.conf.  A case if ``-a'' vs
``-o''.  I filed a bug report and remember the bug being closed/fixed
(just not when :-).

Andrew