Subject: Re: Disk controller speeds?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/28/2002 18:12:02
Hello,

> > I was just using a Symbios card which used ultra SCSI speed (50 ns, wide),
> > but I may need that elsewhere and I don't see why this Adaptec card won't
> > do ultra speed. This Adaptec just came out of an i386 machine running
> > NetBSD where it did the full 40 meg / sec.
>
> This is because the Adaptec BIOS is not run on the Mac, and the driver
> use values from the BIOS
> yes, this should be fixed ...

Any idea where I can go to set this manually?

> > But, honestly, I don't know what CMD_BICSR and friends are, so I don't
> > know why these tests are being performed and why UDMA_mode is being
> > lowered.
>
> This is supposed to tell whenever the IDE cable is 40 or 80 pin.
> Ae you sure your cable is Ultra-66 capable ?

Yes, I'm sure it's an 80 pin, and I'm sure it's connected properly. It is
the cable that came with the card, and the box they came in brags Ultra-66
all over it.

I suppose that's what CMD_BICSR_80 is for? How does thehardware determine
what cable is in use?

Thanks very much,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs