Subject: RE: A few simple (I hope...) questions
To: Tristan Celder <tristan@unpure.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/2002 15:50:55
At 4:27 AM +0100 10/18/02, Tristan Celder wrote:
>Hi Bill,
>
>Still not working... :(
>
>This is what happens...
>
>-------------------------------------
>
>zappy# /usr/pkg/sbin/httpd start
>[Fri Oct 18 05:26:24 2002] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the
>server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>zappy# vi /etc/hosts
>
>#       $NetBSD: hosts,v 1.6 2000/08/15 09:33:05 itojun Exp $
>#
># Host Database
># This file should contain the addresses and aliases
># for local hosts that share this file.
># It is used only for "ifconfig" and other operations
># before the nameserver is started.
>#
>#
>::1                     zappy.REMOVED.demon.co.uk localhost
>127.0.0.1               zappy.REMOVED.demon.co.uk localhost
>#
># RFC 1918 specifies that these networks are "internal".
># 10.0.0.0      10.255.255.255
># 172.16.0.0    172.31.255.255
># 192.168.0.0   192.168.255.255
>#
># Added by NetBSD sysinst
>#
>
>192.168.0.101   .
>
># Added by Tristan... uh oh.
>#
>
>127.0.0.1       localhost
>127.0.0.1       zappy
>~
>~
>~
>/etc/hosts: unmodified: line 1
>
>------------------------
>
>REMOVED.demon.co.uk is the name that resolves to my ip address on my
>router. I don't know if NetBSD would have to check this out somewhere,
>it may just think its on a private network? I really don't know, I'm
>just very very confused.
>
>Thank you for your persistence in helping me! I'm glad I can now do this
>on a terminal using ssh on my regular machine!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tristan

You aren't running your own DNS server are you?  Unless you are then
you can't "invent" zappy.REMOVED.demon.co.uk.

I suspect the problem is your /etc/resolv.conf file.  Can you
"nslookup www.netbsd.org" (for example) while on the machine?  If not
then that's your problem.

Also you might want to check the output of ifconfig -a to see how
your network interfaces are configured.  Might tell you something.
Might just be confusing.

Good luck.  Keep asking questions and maybe you'll get the right
answer sometime.  ;-)