Subject: A few simple (I hope...) questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tristan Celder <tristan@intensiv.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/18/2002 01:00:03
Hi all,

I've installed NetBSD on my 7600/120! :) All seems to be running
relatively smoothly... touch wood. I do have some really dumb newbie
questions however, and I'd be thankful to whoever can take the time to
answer them. First, some background on my set-up. I have installed
apache using the SUP pkgsrc system. I found the httpd binary, ran it,
and I could see the page across my local network (I'm pretty proud of
myself!). The real praise should go to the SUP package installer, a
wonder which shows the brilliance of Unix, or NetBSD if it's NetBSD
unique. Well done to those involved!

The questions...

1. I hear talk of adding things to your 'path'. I assume this means I
would be able to type 'httpd start' without having to put the directory
in as I do currently. How is this done? What file do I need to change?

2. What file do I need to change to start it at boot?

3. When I do start apache, I get the message...

	"[alert] httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using 127.0.0.1"

I assume I have to add some things to the hosts file, but what? I am at
a loss.

4. I can't access the machine via telnet. I've looked at so many pages
regarding ifconfig.mc0 to try and turn off the firewall. But so far all
the files I have found bare no resemblance to what I see when I open my
copy of the file. I'm doing something wrong... but I don't know!

The following may help to diagnose any of the problems... I'm running
the server on a private ip, behind an internet firewall and router
(Intertex IX66) it is on a hub with other plain jane machines, I wish to
set-up the router to forward port 80 requests to the NetBSD server, and
possibly telnet (or ssh?) also. Would also be good to assign a domain
for my static IP (which is pointing to the the router) so I can be the
authority for my domain and control it via BIND on NetBSD, and set-up
sub-domains. Is this possible? It DOES have a sub-domain already
assigned to the ip, does this affect anything?

Sorry for the length and quantity of my questioning, but if someone
knows anything from the top of their head, it would be great to hear
from you. Believe me, I have been looking (came across 1 & 2, that's how
I know they exist, I'm just having trouble locating where I first saw
them...)

Many thanks,

Tristan