Subject: RE: A few simple (I hope...) questions
To: Tristan Celder <tristan@unpure.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/17/2002 19:57:01
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Tristan Celder wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Still seems not to work though.
>
> This is how my hosts file looks (without the comments) after following
> your suggestions.
>
> ----------------
>
> ::1		localhost.subdomain.domain.tld localhost
> 127.0.0.1	localhost

You need to do both lines. The "::1" line is for IPv6, and the "127. .."
one is for IPv4.

> 127.0.0.1	localhost #added by netbsd sysinst
> 127.0.0.1	zappy
>
> ----------------
>
> Should probably take out one of the duplicating 127.0.0.1 localhost
> lines maybe? I've called the machine zappy.

You can add "zappy" to the other lines, but I'd actually put zappy in at
the IP address you gave it w/ dhcp.

Zapping the duplicate line wouldn't hurt.

> Apache still throws out the "could not determine the servers fully
> qualified domain name" response. Is this because I have a firewall on my
> router? Or is it because I've got something set wrong? I've tried
> looking in the documentation, but its going over my head in my unix
> experience infancy!

No, the problem is I bet appache's using IPv4, and you adjusted the IPv6
entry.

> I've enabled SSH via rc.conf, and can see it start when I reboot (first
> time it created its keys too!). However, I still can't login using the
> machines private ip from within the network. Is there a default firewall
> in place I need to turn off?

No, it should work.

Oh, you aren't logging in as root, are you? That is disabled by default in
ssh.

Make a user account for you, and use that. I do that on all of my
machines, even ones I'm the only person who uses. Keeps "accidents" from
happening; most of the system you can only touch if you first su.

Take care,

Bill