Subject: Re: A few simple (I hope...) questions
To: Tristan Celder <tristan@intensiv.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/17/2002 18:40:26
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Tristan Celder wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed NetBSD on my 7600/120! :) All seems to be running
> relatively smoothly... touch wood. I do have some really dumb newbie
> questions however, and I'd be thankful to whoever can take the time to
> answer them. First, some background on my set-up. I have installed
> apache using the SUP pkgsrc system. I found the httpd binary, ran it,
> and I could see the page across my local network (I'm pretty proud of
> myself!). The real praise should go to the SUP package installer, a
> wonder which shows the brilliance of Unix, or NetBSD if it's NetBSD
> unique. Well done to those involved!

Note: sup and pkgsrc are two differnt things, though you can use sup to
get pkgsrc. sup is a tool for retrieving source trees, and it is good at
obtaining NetBSD source, and pkgsrc sources.

pkgsrc is a framework for making software not maintained as part of the
NetBSD source.

> The questions...
>
> 1. I hear talk of adding things to your 'path'. I assume this means I
> would be able to type 'httpd start' without having to put the directory
> in as I do currently. How is this done? What file do I need to change?

Don't do that.

Your path is the contents of the PATH environment variable. If you use sh
or ksh or bash as your shell, "PATH=...; export PATH" is how you set it.
For csh and tcsh, "setenv PATH ...". If you want to add something to your
path, do something like "PATH=$PATH:/new/dir/to/add".

But don't do that to start httpd. You don't need to start it often, and I
doubt you want to start it by mistake.

> 2. What file do I need to change to start it at boot?

Not sure. Used to be you'd add something like:

if [ -f /usr/pkg/sbin/apachectl ]; then
       /usr/pkg/sbin/apachectl start
fi

to /etc/rc.local, but I think there's been work on making packages use the
rc.d system.

> 3. When I do start apache, I get the message...
>
> 	"[alert] httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name, using 127.0.0.1"
>
> I assume I have to add some things to the hosts file, but what? I am at
> a loss.

change "localhost" to "localhost.your.domain.name localhost". The second
localhost is so when you type just localhost, the right thing happens.

> 4. I can't access the machine via telnet. I've looked at so many pages
> regarding ifconfig.mc0 to try and turn off the firewall. But so far all
> the files I have found bare no resemblance to what I see when I open my
> copy of the file. I'm doing something wrong... but I don't know!

ifconfig.mc0 should look something like "inet <your_ip> netmask
<your_netmask>".

Don't use telnet, it's not secure. Use ssh.

To enable ssh, add "sshd=YES" to rc.conf, and reboot.

> The following may help to diagnose any of the problems... I'm running
> the server on a private ip, behind an internet firewall and router
> (Intertex IX66) it is on a hub with other plain jane machines, I wish to
> set-up the router to forward port 80 requests to the NetBSD server, and
> possibly telnet (or ssh?) also. Would also be good to assign a domain
> for my static IP (which is pointing to the the router) so I can be the
> authority for my domain and control it via BIND on NetBSD, and set-up
> sub-domains. Is this possible? It DOES have a sub-domain already
> assigned to the ip, does this affect anything?

Take care,

Bill