Subject: Re: Installation onto a 7600/120
To: Tristan Celder <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/16/2002 17:11:38
At 11:38 PM +0100 10/16/02, Tristan Celder wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just completed the NetBSD install onto my old 7600, went through all the
>trials and tribulations to reach a point where I thought I would be able
>to say the install was done! Trouble is... I followed the advice in the
>installer and when the following message came up:
>
>/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted.
>Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>We recommend creating a non-root account and using su(1) for root access
>
>So I typed in the recommended line listed in the installer docs:
>
>/sbin/mount -u -w
>
>(had to take out the '/' at  the end of the installer doc line. Didn't
>work.)

Hmmm.  That's your problem.  You never told it to update to writable
the / filesystem.  Should have been "/sbin/mount -u -w /".  But why,
I can't say?

>It mounts! But...
>
>root_device on / type ffs (read-only, local)
>
>HELP! I can't edit my rc.conf because it's a read only file system :(
>Let alone open vi as it needs to write a temporary file!
>
>How do I fix this?

Usually I do a mount -a, but that assumes you have a reasonable
/etc/fstab to begin with.  You can check that, but you can't fix it
until you can mount / as writable, any more than you can fix
/etc/rc.conf.

If you could give an exact transcript of your command and the
response it might help.  Good luck.