Subject: Installation onto a 7600/120
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tristan Celder <tristan@intensiv.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/16/2002 23:38:22
Hi all,

Just completed the NetBSD install onto my old 7600, went through all the
trials and tribulations to reach a point where I thought I would be able
to say the install was done! Trouble is... I followed the advice in the
installer and when the following message came up:

/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted.
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
We recommend creating a non-root account and using su(1) for root access

So I typed in the recommended line listed in the installer docs:

/sbin/mount -u -w

(had to take out the '/' at  the end of the installer doc line. Didn't
work.)

It mounts! But...

root_device on / type ffs (read-only, local)

HELP! I can't edit my rc.conf because it's a read only file system :(
Let alone open vi as it needs to write a temporary file!

How do I fix this?

ALSO... smaller problems. Open firmware won't boot automatically, it
just says 'no alias' or something very similar, and I have to hold down
apple-option-o-f to get into open firmware. Then I type boot, and it
loads NetBSD. And... I have applied the open firware patch but my screen
is still completely mangled, artefacts all over the show, and the edges
resemble  zebra crossings with confetti spilt over them.

Help much, much, much appreciated.

Tristan.
Unix newbie