Subject: Re: Why floppy disk ejects?
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2002 11:13:37
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> 11.10.2002 08:51:19, Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to install NetBSD on a Performa 6360. I created the disk with
> >boot.fs image as described in the Install Manual (dd if=boot.fs
> >of=/dev/fd0 bs=36k; fd0 because image was created in a GNU/Linux system).
> >
> >So, when I try to boot (boot fd in OF), the disk simply ejects.

Daniel, try something like boot fd:0 and see if that work instead.

> >What's wrong? I don't believe in disk problem, because I created this disk
> >twice, and failed twice.
>
> Older firmware... it tries to boot MacOS (Systemfolder on a HFS(+) volume)  and that's totally different from booting NetBSD.
> You have to do some additional voodoo to boot it.

> ( Can't help you there, I have the same problem but still can't access
> OF... BTW - is there an easy way to use some PC as terminal on the
> serial OF console ? Linux manages to put the serials into some RS232
> mode but OF uses 422 )

??

OF usually is (for older machines) 38400 8N1 (I think on the latter).

You won't be able to see the difference between RS232 and RS422 if you
have the right cable. Those differences are electrical and a cable can
cover it.

You will want to tell the other machine that it is a "local" terminal; it
shouldn't wait for modem signals to be asserted before communicating.

Take care,

Bill