Subject: Re: disklabel problem (was: installing onto 1.6 onto powermac 7300)
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/10/2002 18:42:38
Thanks for the pointer about how to run disklabel interactively.
I tried it out, and I learned that the problem is somehow related
to the fact that the disk reports a sector size of 514 bytes rather
than the expected 512 bytes.  More details below.

When I start out with a completely clean disk, i.e. no disklabel
installed, sysinst barfs as follows:

    disklabel: warning, boot block size % sector-size != 0
    disklabel: warning, super block size % sector-size != 0
    disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: label magic number or checksum is
wrong!
    (disklabel or kernel is out of date?)

Then I get a friendly message:

    disklabel -w -r sd0 mydisk failed.  I can't continue

And then I'm hosed.

When I try to create the disklabel by hand as you suggested, I
am not able to get a label on to the disk at all, unless I tell
disklabel that the sector size is 512 rather than 514.  After
I do this, I am able to write out a disklabel.

But then things fail in other interesting ways, that I haven't had
time to document.

The disk is from IBM.  I have never seen a sector size other than
512: is there something weird about this disk?  Any ideas about how
to proceed?

-russ