Subject: Re: bootable cd
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/10/2002 09:59:39
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> This is both a data point, and some questions.
>
> Firstly, I build -current from today, and then did MAKEDEV in the dev
> directory of my
> destdir. I copied netbsd and ofwboot.xcf into the root of my destdir.
> Then I did a
> mkisofs -r -hfs -part -o ../cd.iso .
> and then burned the cd.
>
> I managed to boot the cd on my dual G4 using the following
> boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf cd:,\netbsd
> this loaded ofwboot but didn't get netbsd also.
> when I got the boot prompt i entered netbsd (did I need to use /netbsd
> vice \netbsd?)

Yes, you need to use / for the second one.

> 1) what is the proper mkisofs type command to use? my /rescue directory
> has individual
> files vice hard links, which I thought the -r would cause to be created
> by default per the man
> page. The image ends up over 700Mb on the cd.

According to my man page, -r has to do with file ownership.

-cache-inodes seems to do what you want, but it's supposed to be the
default. Strange.

> 5) related questions re wscons... can you have multiple consoles like
> on a pc platform? and if
> so, how do you set it up? I had bad results with my trying this out a
> while ago, but may have been
> other errors.

No. The problem is that systems that have that feature now use
character-cell displays, and we don't. I've personally tried bugging a few
of the folks who could fix this, but I've never gotten anything. :-(

Take care,

Bill