Subject: Re: handling NetBSD partitions in the Apple Partition Map [was Re: write-label changes]
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/2002 11:49:43
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:
> There are two things we really want to encode. We want to encode the
> partition type (4.2BSD, 4.4LFS, CCD, swap (, boot?), RAID, CGD) and if
> it's a macppc root, (mac68k root,) or usr. How do we want to do both?
> "_<FS_type>" and "_root"? "_rootppc" and "_root68k"?

Encoding root/usr in the typename is just wrong.

In fact, i'm very unhappy with the forced partition
reordering that currently happens.  I don't plan to undo it
yet, but lets not make it worse by forcing the order of any
new partition types we are adding.

I do hope to fix the boot loader's & kernel's screwed up
handling of bootpath.  This includes correctly reading the
booted partition to determine which to mount as root by
default.  With that fixed, there is no absolute requirement
to mark any particular partition in the disklabel as the root
partition.

For now, lets just use NetBSD_ followed by one of the strings
from the fstypenames array in disklabel.h

Darrin