Subject: Re: handling NetBSD partitions in the Apple Partition Map [was
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2002 18:41:54
At 3:36 PM -0400 10/7/02, Allen Briggs wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:23:34PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>  I think the model/goal is simpler than what you are suggesting:  When
>>  you set up the machine you would probably use the Apple tools to
>>  create 2 or 3 partitions.  They would be a) a MacOS partition, b) a
>>  NetBSD root partition, and optionally c) a NetBSD swap partition (if
>>  you don't have enough RAM for what you want to do with the machine).
>
>Perhaps.  What I'm working on for a dual-boot system is:

Yes, well some people have to make it complicated don't they?  ;-)  I
think what I said is still true for a basic dual-boot machine, at
least as a goal.

>	1 - Minimal HFS partition for ofwboot.xcf (since that seems to be
>	    about the only partition type that OFW3 will understand on this
>	    system)
>	2 - HFS+ partition for OS X software that wants HFS or HFS+
>	    (Virtual PC and X-Plane in very limited testing, although
>	     X-Plane is perfectly happy with HFS or HFS+)
>	3 - NetBSD Root & Usr partition
>	4 - NetBSD Swap
>	5 - UFS partition to be shared between OS X and NetBSD for most
>	    user data.  THANK YOU DARRIN!!!!!!

Is there a reason we can't make the NetBSD root an OSX-flavor UFS
partition?  If we can't then I presume it's just propagating Darrin's
patches into ofwboot and friends.

>As a note, it wasn't obvious to me how to get sysinst to respect
>the MacOS partitioning.  I didn't try too hard (and I didn't read
>the installation notes [-*-mw whacks briggs-*-], but IIRC, I was
>dropped directly into a clean disklabel.  I ended up dropping out
>and untarring the sets, etc., by hand.

I haven't read them lately either.  *sigh*  I think the key point is
we still don't have a sysinst that respects APM.  It just blows it
away with the BSD disklabel and the boot blocks that only work on OF
1 (&2?) machines.  To keep an APM you need to do what you said.  Then
you need to figure out how you're booting if it's not an OF 3 machine.

MW can whack both of us if I'm wrong.