Subject: Re: handling NetBSD partitions in the Apple Partition Map [was Re: write-label changes]
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2002 15:36:14
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:23:34PM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I think the model/goal is simpler than what you are suggesting:  When
> you set up the machine you would probably use the Apple tools to
> create 2 or 3 partitions.  They would be a) a MacOS partition, b) a
> NetBSD root partition, and optionally c) a NetBSD swap partition (if
> you don't have enough RAM for what you want to do with the machine).

Perhaps.  What I'm working on for a dual-boot system is:
	1 - Minimal HFS partition for ofwboot.xcf (since that seems to be
	    about the only partition type that OFW3 will understand on this
	    system)
	2 - HFS+ partition for OS X software that wants HFS or HFS+
	    (Virtual PC and X-Plane in very limited testing, although
	     X-Plane is perfectly happy with HFS or HFS+)
	3 - NetBSD Root & Usr partition
	4 - NetBSD Swap
	5 - UFS partition to be shared between OS X and NetBSD for most
	    user data.  THANK YOU DARRIN!!!!!!

As a note, it wasn't obvious to me how to get sysinst to respect
the MacOS partitioning.  I didn't try too hard (and I didn't read
the installation notes [-*-mw whacks briggs-*-], but IIRC, I was
dropped directly into a clean disklabel.  I ended up dropping out
and untarring the sets, etc., by hand.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...