Subject: Re: handling NetBSD partitions in the Apple Partition Map [was
To: Darrin B. Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2002 12:23:34
I think the model/goal is simpler than what you are suggesting:  When
you set up the machine you would probably use the Apple tools to
create 2 or 3 partitions.  They would be a) a MacOS partition, b) a
NetBSD root partition, and optionally c) a NetBSD swap partition (if
you don't have enough RAM for what you want to do with the machine).

No other subdivision would be necessary and when you're done you're
done.  There is no concept of "BIOS partition" on Apple hardware
since the "BIOS" is Open Firmware and it's supposed to use the same
partition map that MacOS (and NetBSD) use.  I think this is actually
simpler and less confusing than what is done with PC hardware.

If you are the kind of power user who wants separate /usr, /tmp, and
/var partitions then you get the overhead that goes with the
complexity.  Most partitioning tools will let you change some
partitions and leave others alone, so I think nothing is lost in this
model.