Subject: pppoe probs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff <jeff@praeclara.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/06/2002 19:36:15
I've been trying for two days, without success, to connect to
ameritech.net via pppoe.

I'm running 1.6 on a Powerbook G3 Series Wallstreet w/ 512mb ram and
using the built-in ethernet card.  I have no problems connecting when I
run as ip 192.168.2.2 (forwarded by OS X).  So the card works.

I'm following the step-by-step instructions at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/pppoe

I did all of the steps properly.  And I get to the point where it
suggests doing the
#pppoectl -d pppoe0
And my output is correct:  it says 'session' etc.
But when I do the
#ifconfig pppoe0
I still see the 0.0.0.0-->0.0.0.1 info instead of the real ip address.
And I cqan't ping an ip address--No Route to Host.

The instructions suggest that I'm sending improper authentication info
(bad username or password) but I triple-checked and did it a dozen
times, and still it won't work.

I tried using the 'callin' option in pppoectl.  I tried adding the
provider name with
pppoectl -s ameritech.net pppoe0

Nothing seems to help.

So:  does anyone have an ameritech.net connection via pppoe up and
running?  What's the secret?  What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jeff