Subject: Newish TiBook 800 Qs
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/04/2002 12:33:43
Hi.  I've got a relatively new TiBook 800 (1280x854 display).  New
enough that I just bought it, but old enough that it had 10.1.4
instead of 10.2 in the box...

Anyway, I've got three issues with it:

	1) Console (worked around),

	2) Booting (kinda worked around), and

	3) XFree86

1) The first thing is the console.  The BootROM (OFW 3, BootROM version
   4.3.7f3) does not have any of "`usb-kbd-ihandles", "`usb-kbd-ihandle",
   or "`adb-kbd-ihandle" methods, yet it does have a PB G3 (ADB)
   keyboard.  I worked around this locally by hardcoding an ADB
   keyboard instead of a USB keyboard in the default case--obviously
   not the best solution.

2) I can't find a way to boot from the hard drive.  I can only get a
   'dir' listing of one partition (hd:9,\ with two files: "External
   Booter" and "<NUL><NUL><NUL><NUL>HFS+ Private Data"), and after
   putting ofwboot.xcf in both an HFS+ and a UFS partition, I can't
   boot it from any hd partition.  I'm working around that for the
   moment by doing "boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:14/netbsd" but I'd like
   to get away from using the CD...

3) After hacking the radeon driver in XFree86 4.2 by reducing
   RADEON_MMIOSIZE from 512K to 64K (to match the PCI space),
   X starts up, but doesn't quite sync right.  When I try to
   leave X, the screen looks like it's getting burned out.  A
   color progression of white->purple->black spreads across the
   screen in a very alarming way...
   The Monitor section I'm using (found via google somewhere) is:
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "TiBook Panel"
        HorizSync       30-70
        VertRefresh     55-65

        Option          "DPMS"

        Mode "1280x854" # D: 79.815 MHz, H: 51.963 kHz, V: 60.003 Hz
                DotClock 79.815
                HTimings 1280 1296 1408 1536
                VTimings 854 855 858 866
                Flags    "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
EndSection

   Is anyone running X on this system?  If so, how?

Anyone have any thoughts on any of these items?

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...