Subject: Re: Booting from CD on Performa 6400
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2002 13:53:01
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:48:00PM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
  | I'm booting a [boot floppy] revision built by Luke Mewburn,
  | not the standard 1.6, so the text won't match yours [...]

For what it's worth, the files that Allen refers to are a custom
rebuild of 1.6 for macppc containing the following changes:
    +	INSTALL kernel has uninorth* bridge added, so that newer
	systems can use it
    +	ofwboot has fixes for cache flushing and memory allocation,
	to improve its success on more systems.

Test images are up at:
	ftp://ftp.au.netbsd.org/pub/lukem/

Note; due to a variety of circumstances, the bootable CD might not
work on systems prior to OF 3.0.  The boot floppy *should* work, at
least on more systems than the standard 1.6 macppc boot floppy.

If these work "better" for more people than the original 1.6 CD/floppy,
I'll update the official 1.6 distribution with the fixed kernels,
floppies, and ofwboot* files, and update LAST_MINUTE to reflect that.

(Bill Studenmund & I have discussed a medium term correct fix for
making boot CDs for pre OF 3.0 (improvements to /usr/sbin/installboot
and bootxx_cd9660), but that won't happen for 1.6.)

Luke.