Subject: Re: Booting from CD on Performa 6400
To: Matthieu Lalonde <mlalonde@ravesw.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/01/2002 15:48:00
On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:15:43PM -0400, Matthieu Lalonde wrote:
> 0> boot fd:,\OFWBOOT.XCF

What does the 6500 report for its Open Firmware version?  The
6400/200 reports "2.0".

I'm having trouble finding a functional floppy disk, as I said.
I might have to go out and buy one or something...  I'm booting
a revision built by Luke Mewburn, not the standard 1.6, so the text
won't match yours, but this is what I see:

0 > boot fd:,\OFWBOOT.XCF bad partition number, using 0-
OF_open bootpath=fd
read stage 2 blocks: 01234567. done!
starting stage 2...

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.6
>> (lukem@daedalus, Tue Oct  1 11:32:50 EST 2002)
3722588READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@read text: Input/output error
bad partition number, using 0read header
bad partition number, using 0read header
Boot:

with
0 > boot fd:0

I don't get that first message about a bad partition number.

I think the READ TIMEOUT messages are due to floppy sector errors.

> now that's where MY problem starts
> I formatted the drive and everything
> I tell it to get the packages from the cd-rom
> device is set to scsi-int/sd@2 (SCSI ID is 2!)
> set the path to /macppc/binary/kernel/

In the installer?  Try setting the device to cd0 or /dev/cd0a or
something like that.  I'll let you know when I get there...  :-)

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...