Subject: Booting from CD on Performa 6400
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/01/2002 15:06:25
I've been playing around with getting an "old" Performa 6400/200 up and
running.  Has anyone had any luck booting from a CD on these things?  If
so, what incantation worked for you?

I've tried a number of different things, but pretty much get nothing...
Open Firmware, 2.0
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
 ok
0 > setenv load-base 600000  ok
0 > setenv real-base F00000  ok
0 > reset-all
[...]
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF RESETing SCSI bus
[...wait ~forever...]

I did make sure that the CD was readable in MacOS.  I started working
with CD-RWs, but soon found that the CD-ROM in the Performa won't read
those...  It needs CD-R media.

I'm working on getting a floppy boot to work now, but I'm having some
trouble finding a good floppy around here...

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...