Subject: Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems
To: Kevin Keith Woo <kkwoo@sdf1.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/29/2002 15:12:17
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Kevin Keith Woo wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
>     Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been a bit occupied and this
> is the first chance I've had to try the latest suggestion.

That's ok.

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>

> > One problem you'll run into is that ofwboot parses the boot device to get
> > the location of a device to try loading the boot file from. I don't think
> > it's going to correctly understand a ":" not followed by a digit.
> >

> If I remove the ":0" from the boot-device environment variable, I get
> "loader: unrecognised client program format" errors, which indicate
> that OF 2.4 can't find OFWBOOT.XCF. Yet if I add ":0" or ":1" (I tried
> ":1" recently), OFWBOOT.CXF appears to load, because I now see:

Very weird.

> open ide1/disk@0:1,\NETBSD_G.GZ: No such file or directory
> Boot:
>
> At the "Boot:" prompt, I can type in a file name, but it appears that
> regardless of the filename I give, I will proceed to receive:
>
> no active packageWarning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> Warning: unexpected short transfer 0/10240
> <ad infinitum>
>
> > Try ":1". The colon indicates that we're giving a partition number to load
> > from. To have the colon and not give a partition number will confuse a
> > number of the different bits of code along the way, and you'll be
> > encountering error-case behavior.
> >

> As mentioned above I added ":1" to the boot-device parameter, to the
> boot-file parameter, both separately and together. Neither ":0" and
> ":1" seems to have worked.

Hmmm...

> Depending on your patience and mine, it appears we'll be a while
> before we can get a successful boot (unless someone whose booted an OF
> 2.4 machine gives us some vital tips). I'm willing to continue with
> this machine (I've no choice, really (: ). Are you willing to continue
> this journey with me? (:

I think the problems you're encountering now have little to do with OF 2.4
specifically (the :0 vs :1 bit does). One big problem is that we don't
really support opening a file from an hfs partition. If you renamed
netbsd_g.gz (why _g AND .gz?) to just netbsd, I think it'd work better.

The problem is if we are passed ide1/disk@0:1,\NETBSD_G.GZ as a name, we
first try to see if OF can open the whole thing (I'm not sure why it
can't). Then we try to have OF open "ide1/disk@0", and look for a NetBSD
disklabel, look in partition 1 therein, and look for NETBSD_G.GZ in there.
We really want to also try to have OF open "ide1/disk0:1" and look for
NETBSD_G.GZ in there.

Take care,

Bill