Subject: Re: Booting problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2002 16:58:59
At 13:24 -0700 09/24/2002, David A. Gatwood wrote:

>If that doesn't help, then I have no idea other than making sure
>everything is connected correctly and that you didn't knock the video card
>and/or cable loose or something similar.

I don't know if this works on Catalyst machines, however, on
PowerSurge (x500, x600) machines the following will usually work on a
chiming black screen freeze.

Hit the keyboard power button as you normally would.  Now, *before
the sound of the chime finishes*, depress the cmd-opt-P-R keys.  Yes,
this looks like a normal PRAM zap.  However, doing it extremely
early, before the chime has finished sounding, seems to bypass the
NVRAMrc and avoid any corrupt NVRAM problems.

At any rate it isn't much effort and it can't hurt anything.

On the Umax S900 with E100 card (combo UW SCSI & 10/100 Enet)
Powerlogix has written an extension called E100 Enabler so that the
card will work with G3 upgrades.  However, E100 Enabler modifies the
NVRAMrc and if one disables speculative processing and then loads the
E100 Enabler the machine will fall into a chiming black screen
freeze.   The above keyboard trick gets it to boot.

Actually, the above extension/speculative processing problem exists
with any PowerSurge machine.  It's just that most folks won't have
loaded the E100 Enabler unless they have an E100 card and the
ethernet portion is only usable in an S900 and J700 so one almost
never sees the problem outside of those machines.

Anyway, try that keyboard trick and see if it gets you to boot.  The
PCC clones use the same ROM as the x500 machines ($77D.28F2) so it
very well might.

Jeff Walther