Subject: Re: What Network Cards Work -- Install documentation is wrong
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2002 20:55:03
On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 05:15:36AM -0700, Daniel Eggert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've tried both the on-board and two PCI network adapters listed in the Install Notes for 1.6 as supported. None of them work.
>
> Can anybody tell me of a card that _does_ work?
>

> I'm running on a Apple Network Server 700. Here are the ones I've had no luck with:
>
> on-board                   mc(4)    chip-resets constantly
> Apple PCI Ethernet Card    tlp(4)   NetBSD hangs on executing 'ifconfig -a'
> Netgear FA-311             sip(4)   once configured, I get 'parity error' messages faster than I can count

My machine is a 7500 with a G3 CPU upgrade card.

The on-board mc0 ethernet port worked fine for me up to 2 years ago. I'm
about to start using it again (for my new ADSL connection), so I hope it
still works :-)

I have a 3Com 3c905C 10/100 card plugged into a PCI slot and have used it
for two years now. It works just fine. It reports as ex0.

        david

--
David Johnston
Email: david@canopus.apana.org.au