Subject: Re: 7300 : no Bootable HFS partition?
To: Francis <francis@koclas.com>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/22/2002 21:24:01

    Francis> I just performed a NetBSD 1.6 install using the NetBSD 1.5.3 ofwboot.xcf
    Francis> and the 1.6 Install Kernel as it was suggested by /Joe Laffey /in the
    Francis> thread "7300 booting". I used that method since I was also getting the
    Francis> READ TIMEOUT errors when booting on the 1.6's boot.fs.

    Francis> The installation was successful, although I can't boot in it! I used
    Francis> installboot -v -m macppc -t ffs /dev/rsd0a bootxx ofwboot which gave the
    Francis> following output :

My manual steps for installing the bootloaders are

  cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /boot
  installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot

'installboot' has to know the real secondary bootloader ('/boot').

Does this work for you?

    Francis> In the OpenFirmware I type setenv boot-device
    Francis> scsi-int/sd@0:5 (5 being /dev/sd0a) and setenv boot-file
    Francis> netbsd .

Hmm, I never had a macos partition left after netbsd installation
(;-)), so simply

  boot scsi-int/sd@0

did the job for me.

I guess putting ofwboot.xcf on a macos (hfs) partition (# 4 in your
case) would be an alternativ resulting in a boot command like

  boot scsi-int/sd@0:4,\ofwboot.xcf scsi-int/sd@0:5,/netbsd

Maybe this helps,

Markus.