Subject: Re: kernel loading problems on macppc, was CVS commit:
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/20/2002 12:24:54
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:02:03PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>  > The only difference I found is libsa's assumes you can allocate memory by
>  > grabbing it above the loader, while macppc's called OF_claim to get it.
>  > Could others please check this (in libsa's look at the use of the top
>  > pointer)?
>
> The OF_claim() is required.

Yeah, as I've been thinking about it, I've become more & more sure that we
need to do that. We could have ended up using unconfigured memory, or
worse yet, using memory ofw was ALSO using! 8-|

> We perhaps ought to have some machdep hooks that allow the libsa alloc()
> to do this sort of thing.

That would be cool. Especially as I think the reason we made this switch
in the first place, to not duplicate code everywhere, was good.

Also, I noticed that the macppc (ofw-savy) alloc.c uses LIST macros while
the libsa one does not. Is there an advantage to using or not using LIST
macros here?

Take care,

Bill