Subject: Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems
To: Kevin Keith Woo <kkwoo@sdf1.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/20/2002 10:02:06
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Kevin Keith Woo wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Kevin K Woo wrote:
>
> Your new OFWBOOT.XCF with the cache-flushing code has made a positive
> difference. The "Default CATCH!" error message has disappeared. Good
> work!
>
> I've discovered that the "CLAIM failed" messages occur when I use the
> "boot ide1/disk@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD_G.GZ;1" command.

Is the above command what you typed? Because it won't work. :-(

I assume you're using a CD? That's the only place the ";1" matters (files
on CDs can have versions and you're saying you want version 1). Once you
get far enough along that you're reading from an ffs file system, our code
will think the ";1" is part of the name and get confused.

You shouldn't combine ":0" with a file name. "ide1/disk@0:0" means boot
off of the "boot" partition on ide1/disk@0. That really ends up looking
for a boot driver partition in an Apple partition map.

> I've avoided the "CLAIM failed" by setting boot-device to
> "ide1/@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1", setting boot-file to
> "ide1/@0:,NETBSD_G.GZ;1", and then using "0 bootr" to load the
> OFWBOOT.XCF bootloader. This manages to load the OFWBOOT.XCF a bit
> more successfully, because now I see:
>
> >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.6
>
> However, it doesn't find the set boot-file, so I'm given the error message:
> "open ide1/@0:,NETBSD_G.GZ;1: no such file or directory"
>
> I am then given the "Boot:" prompt. Regardless of the filename I type
> in response, I get the following error message, in an endless loop:
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240"
> ... etc.
>
> I'll look up the above error message in google, and see if I can find
> anything. Let me know if you've any further ideas.

The above is it.

Take care,

Bill