Subject: Re: 7300 booting
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2002 19:39:15
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Joe Laffey wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Yes, I think you can try that. Running installboot on the boot.fs using
> > the 1.5.3 ofwboot (not not .xcf since that's not what installlboot wants)
> > should be fine.
>
> You lost me here. I am not sure what installboot is. Nor am I sure how to
> edit the filesystem on the boot.fs image (or floppy). I don't even know
> what type of filesystem that is (ffs?)

installboot is a program that installs a variant of ofwboot and the bootxx
program as a "boot driver". As part of its (current) behavior it wipes any
existing apple partition map, and it builds the minimum map needed to get
bootxx loaded as a driver. bootxx then loads ofwboot, the memory image of
ofwboot.xcf.

The file system on the boot floppy is ffs. Installboot knows enough to
tell bootxx where to find ofwboot (it has a hard-coded set of block
numbers to look at).

> I was going to try the 1.5.3 ofwboot.xcf on a DOS floppy with the 1.6
> netbsd.INSTALL.gz kernel.

That should work, if it all fits.

> I'll let you know if this works! (Am about to try it now)

Cool.

> > If you can cross-compile releases, I suspect an entire 1.6 build hacked up
> > so it uses the 1.5.3 ofwboot/ofwboot.xcf should work fine.
> >

> At this point the box has linuxppc on it. So I can't do much netbsd
> compiling on it... And trying that from a mac68k would be slow...

-current can be cross-compiled from RedHat 7.3 for x86, so linuxppc
shouldn't be hard, and we can probably get Jason to back-port the changes
to 1.6.