Subject: Re: 7300 booting
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2002 21:05:51
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > > Try 1.5.3. Or try the 1.5.3 boot floppies.
> >
> > Can I use the ofwboot.xcf from 1.5.3 with the new install kernel (1.6)? I
> > tried the boot.fs from 1.5.3 and it worked fine. It did not report any of
> > the READ TIMEOUT errors I was getting with the 1.6 boot.fs.
>
> Yes, I think you can try that. Running installboot on the boot.fs using
> the 1.5.3 ofwboot (not not .xcf since that's not what installlboot wants)
> should be fine.

You lost me here. I am not sure what installboot is. Nor am I sure how to
edit the filesystem on the boot.fs image (or floppy). I don't even know
what type of filesystem that is (ffs?)

I was going to try the 1.5.3 ofwboot.xcf on a DOS floppy with the 1.6
netbsd.INSTALL.gz kernel.

I'll let you know if this works! (Am about to try it now)

> If you can cross-compile releases, I suspect an entire 1.6 build hacked up
> so it uses the 1.5.3 ofwboot/ofwboot.xcf should work fine.

At this point the box has linuxppc on it. So I can't do much netbsd
compiling on it... And trying that from a mac68k would be slow...

> So after 6 builds, the problem occured between July 22, 2000 and August
> 15, 2000. Still checking, but it's nice now that I've gotten two good
> ofwboot's. :-|

Good luck, and thanks!

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?