Subject: Re: 7300 booting
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2002 20:08:23
On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Joe Laffey wrote:
>

> > I am trying to get the 1.6 installer to boot up on the following machine:
> >
> > 7300
> > Newer G3 275/275
> > 192Mb RAM
> >
> > I seem to be hanging right after the:
> > start=0x800000
> > line.
> >
> > However once I got passed that and as far as (something close to)
> > using 2048 buffer taking 8192Kb of RAM (line similar to this)
>
> Especially the fact you got to using XX buffers once makes me think you're
> fighting the problem everyone else is seeing with kernels (not) booting.
> It's also the same one I muttered about in another Email this morning
> about ofwboot.
[snip]

> I'm also a bit appalled by what I found so far. Using the 1.5.3 toolchain
> (I expect current's the same), ofwboot.xcf built from sources from July
> 2000 is fine, but sources from January 2001 make a failing ofwboot. i.e.
> the error happened well over a year ago. We obviously don't update our
> boot loaders much. :-|
[snip]
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Try 1.5.3. Or try the 1.5.3 boot floppies.

Can I use the ofwboot.xcf from 1.5.3 with the new install kernel (1.6)? I
tried the boot.fs from 1.5.3 and it worked fine. It did not report any of
the READ TIMEOUT errors I was getting with the 1.6 boot.fs.

Thanks!!

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?