Subject: 7300 booting
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/19/2002 19:10:24
I am trying to get the 1.6 installer to boot up on the following machine:

7300
Newer G3 275/275
192Mb RAM

I seem to be hanging right after the:
start=0x800000
line.

However once I got passed that and as far as (something close to)
using 2048 buffer taking 8192Kb of RAM (line similar to this)

I have tried System Disk (with the /chaos/control 7300 sync patch). I
tried this using the monitor and keyboard in open firmware. This worked
as far as getting into OF and issuing the boot command.

I am using a DOS floppy (formatted and files copied on a PC..tried two
PCs). I tried the boot.fs image (written with rawwrite on two different
PCs). This installer floppy failed with READ TIMEOUT errors. I tried two
different diskettes with the installer floppy, and two more diskettes with
the DOS formatter installer and kernel.

I have tried it from the serial console ttya. I see all the OF stuff on my
terminal, and issue the commands.

I read the FAQ about upgrade cards (like this Newer card). I tried zapping
the PRAM and booting into Mac OS. I rebooted in Mac OS. (This is supposed to
get the nvram patches from the upgrade card according to the FAQ.) With
this procedure I tried getting into OF via command option OF. I also tried
it via bootvars.

I get the same hang at the start= line.

I *AM* setting load-base to 600000 and real-base to F00000. I have
verified this with printenv.

Anybody have any ideas how to get this thing to boot? I would try an ISO
(in case it is a bad floppy drive... the READ TIMEOUT errors have me
worried about that). However, I get permissions errors on the 1.6 ISO dir
on the ftp server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Joe Laffey              |  Want to convert subnet masks between different
LAFFEY Computer Imaging |  notations, or figure the number of IPs in a block?