Subject: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems with
To: None <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Kevin K Woo <kevwoo@au1.ibm.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/2002 10:12:49
Hi Michael,

      I've noticed that the OF 2.4 boot procedure is different in the 1.6
INSTALL document compared to the 1.5.2 INSTALL document. The change I
noticed was the relevant boot invocation command in the 1.5.3 and 1.6
INSTALL documents is:

      boot ide1/disk@0:0 NETBSD.MACPPC

      While in the 1.5.2 document it was:

      boot ide1/disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC

      I've tried both commands to boot the NetBSD 1.5.2 macppc standard
ISO, but both commands gave me the "unrecognized Client Program format
state not valid" error message. I'm quite confident that I've typed in the
filenames of the bootloader ("OFWBOOT.XCF" in uppercase) and the gzip'ed
kernel ("NETBSD.MACPPC", also in uppercase), because these filenames are
the filenames I see when I invoke "dir ide1/disk@0:0" while in OF 2.4. I
also tried the boot command with the filenames in lowercase ("ofwboot.xcf"
and "netbsd.macppc"), and naturally, that didn't work either.

      From the INSTALL instructions and the port-macppc mailing list, I've
seen that booting a hybrid CD with an OF 2.4 machine has brought mixed
results. Should the NETBSD.MACPPC file be gzip'ed when on the CD? I do not
know whether the OFWBOOT.XCF can decompress the gzip'ed NETBSD.MACPPC file.
If the OFWBOOT.XCF file doesn't decompress gzip files, then that may
explain why I've been unable to boot the standard 1.5.2 macppc ISO, given
the NETBSD.MACPPC file in the standard 1.5.2 macppc ISO appears to be
gzip'ed.

      I found that Eric Damien Berna experienced somthing similar to me
(ref: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/02/07/0006.html).  I've
sent him and e-mail about his experiences, but he's yet to reply me. My
next tactic is burn a pure ISO-9660 (ie, no HFS partition) with the NetBSD
1.6 files and attempt booting the pure ISO-9660 NetBSD 1.6 CD. I'll let you
know how I progress. I've you've any ideas on where I've erred, please let
me know.

With Thanks,

Kevin Keith WOO
Analyst Programmer
IBM Global Services Australia
Ph: +61-2-9354-7757
E-mail : kevwoo@au1.ibm.com

                      Michael Wolfson
                      <michael@nosflow.        To:       Kevin K Woo/Australia/IBM@IBMAU
                      com>                     cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: Install problems with Beige G3 (OFW 2.4)
                      16/09/02 06:52 AM
                      Please respond to
                      michael

Kevin,

Thanks for the offer of help.  At this point, I think the best help you can
give is to let me know where the instructions fail.

I suggest you try again with the NetBSD 1.6 INSTALL notes.  The 1.6 ISO
images aren't available yet, but the instructions should stil help you
install 1.5.3, as they give better instructions on how to boot from Open
Firmware.  Skip down to the section on Open Firmware boot syntax.

Just remember that your Open Firmware 2.4 system should be able to boot
from a hybrid disk.  You could make a 1.6 disk with Toast or cdrecord.

BTW, that error message usually means you typed in a non-existant filename
to boot from.

Good luck,
  -- MW