Subject: Re: Unattended booting
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc1@icompute.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/2002 15:36:21
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Donald Lee wrote:

> >At 9:59 AM -0500 9/12/02, Donald Lee wrote:
> >
> >Shouldn't be a big deal.  Once you know how to boot into netbsd you just can the settings into the environment variables.
> >
> >OF 3 used by the new machines doesn't have the space limitations that OF 1 machines have.  Also they can (need to?) boot off of a MacOS partition so install accordingly.
> >--
> >The opinions expressed in this message are mine,
> >not those of Caltech, JPL, NASA, or the US Government.
> >Henry.B.Hotz@jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz@oxy.edu
>
> I have seen postings here that indicate that there are wrinkles, though.
>
> For instance, if OF 3.x _needs_ to boot from HFS, and it is hard to get
> a disk formatted for NetBSD with *both* HFS and Netbsd partitions, might
> I not have to do something odd, like leave a CD in the drive specifically
> for booting?
>
> My understanding is that HFS partitions need Apple's tools to create them,
> and they insist on some "magic" partitions "up front".  NetBSD tools trash
> the "magic" partitions sometimes, so you can do it, but you have to be
> (as Elmer Fudd would say) "vewwy, vewwy carefuw.... heh heh heh"
>
> I've read the threads on doing this, and the process sounds slightly
> twisted, and not really supported. ;->

There is only one tool you should not use when using Apple partitions, and
that is installboot. It will trash an apple partition map. Other than
that, all works well. All of the disks I use use Apple partition maps.
sysinst hasn't got it instrumented, but an update should work (I think).

Take care,

Bill