Subject: Re: FAQ: Booting a 7300
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/12/2002 14:47:13
Michael Lorenz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> >Yes, i know. I'm asking a FAQ. My newly-acquired 7300 doesn't boot straight
> >away into NetBSD, because the drive hasn't spun up. And I'm asking for
> >hints how to fix it.
> Hmm, have a close look at the harddisk - some ( notably IBM ) drives have a
> jumper labeled "auto spinup" or "delay spinup" and so on. Play with them.

Sorry for the confusion: The thing boots alright - it boots too early,
when the drive hasn't completely powered up *yet*. Once it has completed
spinning up, it'll boot just fine.

The FAQ suggests adding something like:

: wBoot
begin
 boot-device ['] $boot catch drop
 ." -Waiting for boot-device" cr
 d# 500 ms
 key? until
;

to the nvramrc. And it seems to make sense.

Unfortunately, I cannot add this patch, since nvstore complains that the NVRAM
string is too big!

0 > boot-command begin ['] boot catch 999 ms cr again

fails for the same reason.

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333