Subject: UMAX Pulsar / Mercury card
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/07/2002 11:57:59
Hi there,

I have - as the sucject indicates - a Pulsar, ( or Supermac S900 as it
seems to be called elsewhere ) with 2 ppc 604e processors, didn't try
NetBSD yet because I didn't get the OpenFirmware to use my video board
(OF: MTRX,Millennium with 4MB ) as output and have neither a RS422<->
RS232 adaptor not some other Mac to use as a terminal.
My question is - is there any support for the Mercury card ( a custom
part made by UMAX with a UW SCSI controller and a Fast Ethernet
controller, sometimes called E100, fits into a special PCI slot with
some extra pins to make it look like two PCI cards ) ? Any OS I tried
sees the card as two independent PCI devices but fails to use any of
them, the Linux ( 2.2.21, amy 2.4.x crashes on startup ) driver sees
the Ethernet part as a DEC 21140 but complains about some RAM check,
the kernel module loads fine but doesn't get my switch to see a carrier
( and seems not to send any packet ). The SCSI part is in OF speak a
FWB,JackHammer, in PCI speak a Qlogic ISP. The Linux driver just
doesn't see it, but that particular driver seems to be far from
hardware independant, tested on Intel only, maybe it just chokes about
interrupt 26 or so, didn't dig further. Under BeOS 5.0.3 it looks
similar - it sees a DEC 21140 but doesn't get the line to life and
fails to transmit anything, and the SCSI part is ignored.
So, the Ethernet part seems to need some additional voodoo and the SCSI
part seems to be heavily customized by UMAX. ( strange thing is that
MacOS activates the line only when some protocol actually uses it, the
onboard Ethernet is active as soon as OF sees it )
At least the SCSI part seems to have full OF support because MacOS
boots from it without problems, the Ethernet part shows up al pci0x0x
with 0x being vendor and device ID that I can't check right now but it
looks like OF doesn't really care about it ( didn't try netbooting, I
think it won't work anyway )

thanks in advance
Michael