Subject: Re: Formatting a Magnetto-Optical Disk
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/24/2002 11:01:14
On Fri, Aug 23 2002 at 12:43:10 -0700, L. S. wrote:
> Can someone shed some light on how to format a 640 MB
> SCSI MO disk? I've tried to "newfs" /dev/sd0,
> /dev/sd0a, and beyond, but newfs reports that can't
> find a disklabel. So, I've looked at the disklabel,
> disktab, and newfs man pages, as well as
> "/etc/disktab"...but can't make it happen.
Sorry, with NetBSD you are lost: 640MB MO discs use 2048 bytes/sector but
NetBSD still only supports 512 bytes/sector for hard disc-like devices.
MO medias are hard sectored so there's no way to change their sector size.

But 512MB discs (which work with all 640MB drives AFAIK) have 512 byte
sectors and work fine.
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.