Subject: Re: How to make iso boot CD?
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/23/2002 17:13:21
On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:32:33AM -0700, Daniel Eggert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need a custum boot CD for my Apple Network Server (I need the ncr(4) driver to be disabled and I need the mlx(4) driver for my RAID card.
>
> How do I go about? I've got the mkisofs tool, but I'm not shure, what I need to put on the CD.
>
> I tried to make one, but when I boot, I end up with:
>
>   md0: internal 2048K image area
>   boot device: cd0
>   root on md0a dumps on md0b
>   no file system for md0 (dev 0x900)
>   cannot mount root, error = 79
>   root device (default md0a):

You need to put a ramdisk image in your kernel. See mdsetimage(8), and
the infrastructure in src/distrib/macppc/floppies for how to generate
a ramdisk image and put it in the kernel binary.
The easiest is probably to change INSTALL kernel config file to suit your
needs, and regenerate the boot floppy images by a 'make clean; make' in
src/distrib/macppc/floppies