Subject: Re: /etc on a separate partition
To: NetBSD-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2002 10:39:22
mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA (der Mouse) ecrivait:

> Perhaps not entirely.  You could put an /etc/rc in the root filesystem
> that just mounts /etc and then runs the real /etc/rc.

Well, I wonder what's the purpose to have a separate /etc partition....
I know it was the case on legacy Unices, but there are contradicing
things :

- keeping workstations configuration centralised, and nfs-mount /etc.
Good idea, but you also need BootP, to be really effective.
- whats in /etc is relevant for a station, not for an user. Common sense
says it whould be physically related to the station.
- locally separate /etc is beyond my understandig. Especially with the
backup mechnism in /etc/daily

BTW, it saved my life one day when - about to quit the office, ATML(*),
I stupidly typed "$ sudo rm -rf /etc" instead of
"$ sudo rm -rf /usr/build/etc". Half an hour was enought to bring the
system up and running again. Since then , I double-backup /etc with a
tar+scp crontask :-)

(*) According To Murphy's Law
--
Xavier